Cheese Gougeres





I have to be truthful and tell you up front. My kids hated these! Oh well, sometimes I don't make for them, but for myself. This was one of those days. These were a little intimidating but I really wanted to try them. They were actually not hard to make at all and I was really please with my results even if the kids were not. :)

Cheese Gougeres

1/2 c (1/4 lb) butter, cut into chunks
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
6 Lg eggs -beaten to mix
1 c Sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 c Gruyere cheese
1/3 c chopped green onion
1 1/2 tsp blk pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
coarse salt (for topping)
Parmesan cheese (for topping)

In large pan over high heat, bring 1 1/2 c water and butter to a full boil.
Remove from heat and add all of the flour at once. Stir until mixture is smooth and thick with no lumps.
Add eggs a little at a time, stirring after each addition until your dough is no longer wet and slippery.This is where I thought my arm might just fall off - it didn't.
Now stir cheese, salt, pepper, and green onions- mix them well.
Fill pastry bag and pipe equal mounds on baking sheets covered with parchment paper
You can press down pointed tops with a moist fingertip. I left mine as they were.
Sprinkle each puff with coarse sea salt and Parmesan Cheese.
Bake in 400* oven for about 30 min until golden brown.
You can eat these warm or cool them down and freeze them in an airtight container.
Just thaw them and reheat them uncovered in 375* oven until hot - about 5 min.
Next time I might just mix in some cinnamon and chocolate chips and sprinkle them with powdered sugar for those kids of mine :) . Enjoy!


Comments