Split Pea Soup


My husband loves Split Pea Soup and has eaten Campbell's as long as I have known him. I thought I'd give this a try - a little more homemade than a tin can, but still simple.




  • 3 Tbsp minced onion
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 4 slices of bacon
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 pound of frozen petite peas
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream or more
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • creme fraiche for garnish (can substitute sour cream diluted with cream)
  • I served with chunky toasted buttered croutons


 In a medium saucepan (2 1/2 to 3 quart) melt the butter on medium heat, add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon and discard- add onions to same pan and cook until softened, but not browned, a couple minutes. 
Add the broth to the onions, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Add the frozen peas and salt and pepper to taste. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the peas are just tender, I simmered mine around 10 minutes.
Purée half of soup if you like it a little chunky or puree in blender until completely smooth. I made mine a little chunky. Blend in the cream and taste, add seasonings if needed.
Reheat to serve warm, or chill to serve cold. Serve with creme fraiche  and croutons.


Enjoy!


Comments