Pina Colada Cake

I've been hanging onto this recipe for awhile now - just a simple mix of coconut, pineapples and rum. Yeah, pretty simple. Saying goodbye to summer? Not a chance, here in South Texas it's always slightly summer :)
1/3 c dark rum ( I used Captain Morgans Spiced Rum)
1 pkg (4 serv) coconut cream instant pudding
1 box white cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 c water
1/4 c oil
1 c flaked coconut
Frosting
1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple in juice
1 pkg (4 serv) coconut cream or vanilla instant pudding
1/3 c dark rum
1 tub (9oz) Cool Whip, thawed
1/3 c flaked coconut
In a large mixing bowl, combine cake ingredients. Beat on medium speed for about 4 minutes. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9" pans, bake @ 350º for 25-30 minutes or in a 13"x9" pan for 30-35min. Do not under bake, if cake springs back when lightly pressed - it's done. Cool in pan about 15 minutes then remove and cool on racks.
While cooling, mix up your "frosting".  Mix crushed pineapple, pudding mix, and rum in bowl. Beat until completely blended. Fold in your thawed Cool Whip.
Now you can frost the cooled cake.
Refrigerate any leftovers.

Comments

Avril said…
I tell ya, I just love anything "Pina Colada"! Shucks now I want a Pina Colada! - your cake looks lovely Mickey! :-)
Meg Luby said…
I am pretty much obsessed with pina colada cake from Tommy Bahamas. I have literally blogged about how obsessed I am and how unhealthy my obsession is. Pineapple, coconut, and cake are just all stars when combined though, I don't know how I could even attempt to resist. I can tell you right now that this cake looks amazing and i will have to try and give it a try.

Sorry I haven't commented in so long! I have kind of fallen off the blogosphere this summer but, I still have been following and still love your recipes and will be a more devoted follower starting now!

Thanks for always posting such awesome pieces :)
-Meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com
What's next said…
I need to make this soon... I just discovered my love of the spiced rum with pineapple juice last week! This sounds even better....
Unknown said…
Do you have a suggestion of what I could use in place of the rum? SingScrapTeach@att.net