Picnic Today

Young love... you've been there. Well my boy wanted to have a picnic for his girl so... I of course get to make the food. I went simple and scrumptious. I reminded him of the beautiful pressed sandwiches we saw all over Italy so I decided to try my hand at them :)
This pressed sandwich was super easy. This is how I made mine:
Italian Sub Buns
pesto sauce
basil leaves
swiss cheese - thinly sliced
provolone cheese -thinly sliced
Napoli salami - thinly sliced
prosciutto
pepperoni
spinach leaves
Balsamic vinegar
olive oil
salt and pepper
Open up bread and toasted it on grill and then started layering, I started with pesto, swiss, provolone, basil, salami, prosciutto, and spinach. Drizzle with vinegar and oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top off ending bread with a thin layer of butter (this will keep it from letting bread get soggy). Put top on and wrap tightly with plastic wrap, then weigh it down with anything heavy (the "pressed" part). I used a heavy cast iron pan but I've heard people will use books, wrapped bricks etc. Let it set-up overnight. Unwrap and trim edges so all the layers show.
Added a pasta salad with zesty italian dressing, some beet potato chips and an angel food strawberry shortcake. Threw in some chocolate bugs and lemonade bottles. Packed in an insulated cooler for his love lunch.





Comments

Cathleen said…
That's so sweet of you to make the sandwiches! These look so tasty :)