Drunken Ho!

Ok..first let me explain my thought process..or lack of one. I have been wanting to make this Amaretto chocolate cake for awhile now and had stashed the recipe away. Dug it out but didn't want to do a regular frosting with it. Thought about it and really wanted to try a filling like a "Ho Ho" Hostess cake filling. Lo and behold..there it is...a drunken cake with Ho Ho filling...a Drunken Ho...well you can call it a Tipsy Torte. Sorry I thought it was funny :)
I used a cake mix but you could use your own favorite dark chocolate cake recipe. Since I wanted it "torte-like" I baked it in a jelly roll pan so I could cut it into 4 squares to get the look I was going for.
1 bx Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
1 c sour cream
1 c Amaretto liquor
4 eggs
3/4 c cooking oil
Line your jellyroll pan with parchment paper and set aside. Set oven to 350º.
In mixing bowl combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, Amaretto and oil, beat on low to blend everything, then increase speed to med-fast and beat for 3-5 more minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick tester comes out clean (make sure edges don't burn).
Let cool a few minutes and then using edges of parchment paper, lift it out to cool completely on wire rack. Using a long serrated knife, cut into four squares-remove paper off bottoms and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate while making filling.
Cream Filling:
5 tbsp flour
1 1/4 c milk
1 stick butter (soft)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c veg shortening
1 c sugar
In a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk together. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly - whisking the whole time. Allow it to cool to room temp (lay plastic onto surface of mix so it doesn't develop a "skin layer" on top) .
In your mixer with whisk attachment, beat butter and shortening until smooth, add vanilla. Slowly add sugar (scraping down sides) beat on high 15 minutes (scraping down sides). Add cooled milk mix to bowl and beat until completely blended, I put mine if fridge for about 15 minutes to thicken up.
Take out your cake squares and put 1st layer down, slap some filling on it and repeat.  I used regular chocolate frosting to top it off, but you could frost the whole thing if you wanted. You want to keep it refrigerated until serving time.
Cute huh? :)
Linking up:
The Girl Creative

SweetasSugarCookies

Comments

I looove amaretto! This sounds great! I make a cinnamon almond whipped cream that I think would be just lovely with the cake!
Erin said…
WOW! This looks absolutely to die for!!! And I love the name (both of them!) Ha!
Little Lovables said…
This looks delicious, but is also gorgeous!!